7/7/15

Small Business Tuesday: The Curated Carrot

 
 
 
I am really excited about this months Small Business Tuesday feature! I stumbled along this awesome business on Instagram a couple of months ago and placed an order and am so in love with my diffuser necklace. You can check out the one I purchased in this post! I can't wait for you to get to know Charis and see the beautiful jewelry she makes!
 
 
 
 
 
1) Tell us about yourself and your business
 
My name is Charis Karas and I am the owner, designer, and creator of The Curated Carrot. My Etsy shop features lovingly handmade essential oil diffuser jewelry and statement necklaces. I am 26 years old and live in a small town in Wisconsin with my fireman husband, Ryan, and our mini goldendoodle dog-child, George.  
 
You can find me on Etsy, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest
 
 

2) Why did you decide to start your business
 
I have always felt a strong, intrinsic desire to create, design and organize. I began making jewelry when I was about fourteen. Within about a year, I created my first website and began to sell my creations on a small scale. When I first began designing jewelry, I found that it was the perfect outlet for my need to create. I could visualize exactly what I wanted to create and make it happen: an outcome that I had frustratingly never experienced from any other medium of art. Paintings and drawings never turned out how I wanted them to, but jewelry was different. It was and is a way to express myself and my aesthetics of texture, color, and balance through something tangible and useful. I took a few years off from jewelry creation as school work took over in late high school and throughout college. I finally decided to return to my hobby and turn it into a business late last year after much encouragement from my husband and sister-in-law. Everyday I strive to create functional beauty, perfect in its simplicity. 
 

3) Where do you find inspiration and what is your favorite product you've created so far
 
My greatest inspirations are vision, hope, and health. My ultimate goal is to help people feel better. Health and wellness have been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have always been very passionate about nutrition and holistic health, but I felt like a failure. I thought I knew what needed to be done to fix my body, but it was not working. I had struggled with symptoms of hypothyroidism for a number of years, mostly self-treating through a careful diet and exercise, but I was feeling so very far from healthy and vibrant. I finally decided to seek professional help and make an appointment with a holistic doctor who specializes in functional medicine. At my first appointment, he told me that although my thyroid was mildly under-functioning, he did not believe it to be a source of all of my symptoms. He thought I had Lyme Disease. I was in total disbelief. I was feeling pretty dang awful, yes, but I not completely debilitated like all Lyme's patients I'd previously heard of. My symptoms certainly had not developed overnight, it was more of a slow, gradual slip into unwellness over the course of a few years. Even after my Lyme tests came back positive, I was skeptical. It was not until I started doing my own research that a light turned on in my head. The hypothyroid-type symptoms, the strange idiosyncrasies that I'd thought were just part of my sensitive and imperfect self were a DISEASE. Everything suddenly made sense. It all seemed so blatantly obvious. All of the brain fog, memory lapses, exhaustion and fatigue, the joint pain, the sore feet, the sensitively to loud noises and bright lights... All of it was a disease which I had unknowingly suffered from for three plus years. This realization was strangely one of the most freeing experiences of my life. A diagnosis meant there was hope for a cure. A cure meant no more fighting my body every single day to make it do what it did not want to do or could not physically do. I realized that my symptoms weren't my fault, my weakness. I finally felt bright, gleaming hope for the first time in a very long time. 

Although I love creating beautiful statement jewelry, the essential oil diffuser jewelry has a special place in my heart. As I work through my Lyme treatment, nutrition, detox and holistic healing are more important to me than ever before. My sister-in-law is an essential oil distributor and recently opened my eyes to the wide and wonderful world of oils. Essential oils have now become an integral part of my plan and process for healing. My favorite oils to diffuse are peppermint (for alertness and mental clarity), Frankincense (for inner peace and spirituality), and lavender (for relaxation and stress reduction.) 

If anyone can find beauty and joy in the designs that I create with so much love and hope, I am deeply gratified. If my jewelry can help anyone else on their path to healing and wellness, I am utterly fulfilled. 
 

4) What's your favorite thing about owning a small business
 
I have been thrilled, touched, and humbled by the customer attention and feedback I have received on Etsy! I am loving every minute of it. My shop has been a brilliant blessing in my life, both as a medium for my creative spirit and as a means to help heal myself and others. I am humbled and heartened by the outpouring of love and support from my customers and am extremely grateful to be part of the inspiring Etsy community.
 

 
5) What advice do you give to people wanting to start a business
 
Follow your passion!  If you find fulfillment in something that you could turn into a business, make it happen!  There is nothing better than do to what you love.

6) What is one thing you wish people new about owning or shopping a small business
 
As you can imagine, it is a LOT of work.  I still work full-time in corporate customer service, so most of my free time is spent making and packaging orders, creating and listing new designs, keeping my supplies stocked, and answering customer inquiries.  I wouldn't change it for the world.
 
 
 
Guess what?!! Charis is so generously offering all Hippy Juice Mama readers a 15% discount that's good until July 31st! Just enter the code HIPPYJUICEMAMA when you check out!
 
Check out her shop and tell me what your favorite product is! Use the discount code and snag some lovely jewelry then show me what you got!

5 comments:

  1. They look so pretty too! You would never guess that some of them are functional as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Off to check our her shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of essential oil diffusing jewelry before. How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful jewelry. Going to go check out her shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quality of your blogs and conjointly the articles and price appreciating.www.onlinelearners.net - business academy

    ReplyDelete