7/8/15

5 Tips for Newbie Bloggers from Busy Being Jennifer

Hey Friends!! I'm Jennifer, a small town Texas blogger and the blonde mind behind BusyBeingJennifer.com! I blog about life, crafts, DIY projects, blogging and running a handmade business! I'm so happy to be taking over Alicia's blog today and sharing some tips for newbie bloggers!

Newbie Tips

If you're just getting into blogging, the technical stuff, social media stuff and community building stuff can definitely be overwhelming! When I started 4 years ago, I didn't have a clue what I was doing... I just jumped in with both feet and figured it out as I went along. Nowadays, there are great resources available for "baby bloggers" and lots of experienced bloggers that are willing to share their knowledge. I've got 5 tips that will help you start out on the right path!

#1. Think long and hard about your name, BEFORE you commit to a dot com. Starting a blog really isn't all that hard, sites like blogger.com and wordpress make the initial set up pretty easy. But if you're serious about wanting to blog as more than just a random hobby, you're going to want to own your own domain. Buying a dot com is easy, settling on the right name, however, is anything but! It took me 3 weeks, several hours and lots of domain name searches before I finally settled on Busy Being Jennifer... and that was after I'd been blogging for a year under a different name! Once you come up with a few ideas, run them past your friends, practice introducing yourself as "So-and-so from *insert blog name here*" out loud and double check that your idea is still available. Be sure to pick a name that can move and change and grow with you for the long haul!

#2. Claim your Social Media Names. Once you've settled on a name, its time to start thinking about social media. I always recommend that new bloggers claim their name or the name they want to be able to use on every social media outlet possible. Even if you have no intention of building your brand there at that moment. There's nothing worse that being ready to start building a community on a new-to-you platform, and not being able to use the social media name you use on other platforms. Consistency is KEY and makes it MUCH easier for your future readers and fellow bloggers to find you!

#3. Find someone that knows more about this blogging stuff than you do, and become their new best friend. Seriously. Well, ok, maybe not their best friend, but its important to have someone that doesn't mind answering your questions. It might be an entirely new blogging friend or someone you already know, but don't be afraid to reach out and ask them some questions! (feel free to ask me anything. Seriously!)

#4. Start connecting with other bloggers. Find out where the other bloggers hang out and start hanging out there too! I'm talking about social media of course! Start connecting with other bloggers through blog hops, facebook support groups, and twitter conversations. Don't be afraid to jump right in and add your opinions to the mix. That's how I met a lot of my blogging friends and I am so glad that I did! Most bloggers will welcome you with open arms and if they don't, let me know so I can pinch them and tell them to play nice! If you've already found some blogs that you like, comment on their posts, reply to their questions on twitter and facebook and reshare their content >>> with no expectations or requests for shares of your stuff... Remember that old proverb? "A man that has friends must show himself friendly" This definitely holds true for blogging :)

#5. Don't Worry, Be Happy! There will be lots of opportunities to worry about stuff... technical stuff, writing stuff, community stuff, etc. Always remember that its YOUR blog. No one is going to yell at you if you don't post 7 times a week or you missed responding to a comment. Go with the flow, and don't let the stress/anxiety/worry get to you.   If you're looking for some resources and want to learn more about blogging I highly recommend the following... Taylor from Boss Girl Creative's podcast. Blogging Edumacation from Pink Heels Pink Truck These posts from The Sits Girls This Pinterest Board stuffed full of blogging tips, tricks and tutorials. Blogging Posts full of awesome from my Blog, BusyBeingJennifer.com   And I am serious when I say feel free to ask me anything! Send me an email (at busybeingjennifer@gmail.com) or tweet at me (@busybeingjenn) I'll do my best to answer your question or point you in the right direction!


My Bio

4 comments:

  1. I need more blogging best friends! These are great tips. I wish I'd known a few when I started out a few years ago. Great information here! Stacie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I especially agree with connecting with other bloggers. That has helped more more than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such great tips for newbies and great reminders for oldies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding FB groups has been my biggest best friend.

    ReplyDelete