7/1/15

1 Corinthians 13 for Everyday Life

In this day and age it seems as though people have forgotten to love. We are so worried about trying to protect ourselves, our feelings, our rights, that we have forgotten how to show love and compassion for others. God has given each of us a different puzzle to live out, and if I try to cram your pieces in my puzzle it will distort the image. We tend to push what we think is right and railroad those that disagree. We are called to love.




"'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?' Jesus replied, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

So where is the love? We aren't loving each other we are bashing and throwing around our opinions. Don't get me wrong I think most people are well intentioned but they get their message across in the wrong way. Today I want to talk about love. Lets take a look at 1 Corinthians 13 and see how to apply it to our everyday life.

If I speak out, protest, and blast my thoughts all over Facebook and back up what I'm saying with Scripture but do not love, I am nothing more than an annoying .

If I know what  the outcome of a situation will be and have all the knowledge in a particular area and faith that can move mountains but do not love I know nothing.

If I serve on every committee at my church, volunteer at my kids school, run charity drives, volunteer at my local Pregnancy Center or homeless shelter, donate all that I have to the poor, bring meals to all those that are sick, am extremely hospitable and invite others over for dinner every week, and tithe over 10% at my church and boast about my efforts and look down on those that barley have time to help out I have accomplished nothing.

Love is patient when the barista at Starbucks gets your order wrong

Love gives a kind smile to the weary mom in the grocery store who's kid is throwing a fit

It is not envious when a friend shares their pregnancy announcement when you've been trying so hard to get pregnant

It does not boast on social media all the things you where able to accomplish and look down on others that seem to be barely making it through each day

Its not too proud to admit when you are wrong and apologize

It does not dishonor your husband by complaining about him to your friends

Its not always putting myself first

Its not easily angered at the car that sits for an extra 10 seconds when the light turns green

It keeps no record of wrongs--doesn't continually bring up the mistakes your child or spouse made

Love does not delight when someone "gets what they deserve"

It always strives to protect relationships


Always trusts, always hopes, always preserves. Love never fails.


We are merely human. We will mess up and we will fail. We won't love and honor people the way we should all the time, but when we fall we need to brush ourselves off, seek forgiveness, and keep going. And we need to give out the same grace we are receiving.

Practice loving the people in your life today.

Which way of loving is the hardest for you to do?

10 comments:

  1. Great post. I find that kindness is often hard to find these days. Too many focus on our differences and not the similarities that link us together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...would love point out the grammatical mistakes or leave them be. Well, maybe love would try to find a way to help kindly. ;) It's a wonderful post, and so I just want you to know there's not criticism when I say...

    Love is gives a kind...
    should be
    Love gives a kind smile


    "It does not envious..."
    should be
    "It is not envious"

    (Feel free to delete this after you've read it...I won't mind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...and it's sort of funny I missed a question mark on the end of that first sentence there. Log in my own eye? *grin*

      Delete
    2. The second one could also be "It does not envy..." which I think was what you were going for. *smile*

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I honestly write quickly and don't get to spend as much time as I would like on editing because my of kiddos. I try to read through 3 times and make corrections but ALWAYS notice stuff after its published lol.

      Delete
    4. And I had written the original versus to go back to rewrite my interpretation out beside it so thats part of the mistakes lol. When I'm able to get back on the computer after supper tonight I'll fix it ;).

      Delete
  3. I struggle with a lot of these...

    Being patient with my children in all sorts of situations, not getting angry with the stranger on the freeway (oh, there's a reason I don't put a fish on my car...I do not trust myself to be a road-witness), not putting myself first (oh yeah...that's a big one). I'm grateful for God's grace in all these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a sermon once where the pastor spoke about why he didn't put a fish on his car ha!

      Delete
  4. Love love love this! Because I have run into people so often who say that the Bible is irrelevant in today's society, you have just blasted that notion out of the water. :)

    ReplyDelete