6/29/15

When Healthy Living Becomes an Idol

Last night I got in somewhat of a Facebook fight with some random lady. I'm totally ashamed I allowed myself to get sucked into that situation. Anyway she was totally misinformed with what PCOS actually is. She was making wildly ridiculous comments. She basically said to just suck it up and deal with a little discomfort (basically she kept referring to hot flashes in a topic about PCOS) and that if we ate an all organic diet the symptoms would just go away. Oh how I wish that were true! Sadly she chose to degrade and talk down to those who were commenting about dealing with the disease.



I just want to take a minute to address a few things. First of all we live in a fallen world, sickness and disease is part of our world and always will be. You can eat an all organic diet, never ever have touched sugar or fast food but that doesn't mean you'll never get sick or deal with a chronic disease. You may do everything right and still get cancer. Sadly that's just the fallen world we live in.

Secondly never become so obsessed with eating right and always making the right choices when it comes to food and exercise that it damages relationships with people. No I didn't have any type of friendship with this lady, she was a total stranger. But never ever ever talk down to someone who is dealing with symptoms of a disease. Would I have PCOS is I ate better my entire life? I don't know. Can my symptoms be eased with making better diet choices? Yes but not always.

Remember when you are sharing with others about diet and health information not to tear them down in the process. You can share and educate people in a loving way but ultimately its their choice. Some will read the information and choose not to do anything about it and that's not your problem. Don't destroy a relationship with someone because they choose to eat at McDonalds.

Yes food plays a major role in our health, but our mental health plays a major role in what our bodies do. If you are tearing down someone and calling them fat and telling them that its their fault that they are dealing with the health issues that they have do you really think that's going to be helpful?

Don't get so wrapped up in your healthy lifestyle that you constantly judge other for not being where you are. I love when people get excited about taking charge of their health, but just remember when you are sharing with someone to do it in a way that's kind and not tearing away at the person they are.

Don't let being healthy become an idol where you push people away.

Are you judging the mom that brought cookies for the class treat instead of organic fruit? Are you rolling your eyes as the larger girl in the doctor's office is complaining about low energy and her weight? Are you criticizing the moms who choose to sleep longer instead of getting up before the kids to get in some exercise time?

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle that you know nothing about. Me, I'm fighting Adrenal Fatigue, Hashimotos, and PCOS. That means I have low energy, gain weight easily and have a hard time getting it off, adult acne, facial hair, and many other symptoms.


What are your thoughts? Do you think healthy living can become an idol?

8 comments:

  1. wow yes this is SO good! Thanks for the reminder! Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right. I know too many people who put healthy living (like so many other causes people are passionate about) above the call of Christ. We do live in a fallen world, all of us, together, and we make choices as to how to proceed with that life. Your choices may not be my choices; we don't have to agree but we also don't have to engage. I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience online. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We forget that ANYTHING can become an idol even good things like raising a godly family!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you. I also have PCOS. Everyone's body is so different. I'm sick 3 weeks of the month; mainly really really tired and just nauseous. Dealing with the acne (I actually have given up on it. Just try to maintain it). I barely gain weight and I eat a lot. I have tried all kinds of foods that would stop it and err no. I know what foods help and what doesn't and I just try to enjoy what I can and move along. I try to stay clear of discussions like that because I really can't deal with the "My way is the right way".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate you're fighting it too! My symptoms were getting a lot better but recently are slowly creeping back so frustrating!

      Delete
  4. Ugh. If I had a dime for every time some "well intentioned", but seriously misinformed person made a suggestion about habits and food in relation to my Ulcerative Colitis, I'd have a million dollars! And then there are those that are just judgey jerks. Those people I want to punch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you, it's all about equipping ourselves to live out our God-given potential ... once I switched to an equipping perspective, everything changed!

    ReplyDelete