6/16/15

What to Do When Your Kids Won't Stop Fighting

Mothers work hard daily to teach our children how to deal with others. I mean one day they will grow up, be out of our home, and have to learn to deal with the world themselves. As mothers we teach our children how to be loving and kind and how to deal with those that annoy us.

But we are 3 weeks into summer and my kids WON'T STOP FIGHTING! Every little thing is an argument and I just about can't take it anymore. My kids usually get along really well so this is just honestly getting annoying and I'm over this phase. So here is my suggestion on what to do when your kids won't stop fighting.





1.) Hide in the bathroom

Now this is only a solution that works when you just need a 3 minute break. Any longer than that and they will find you and sit outside the bathroom and talk to you and ask a million questions until its no longer worth trying to hide.


2.) Make them go outside

This helps by running out their energy, but the summer heat has already started so this only works if they wake up early and can go out in the mornings. Of course they can go out later in the evenings and that's helpful but at this time they get packed off by mosquitoes. You do what you got to do to let them blow off some steam though. I know some moms suggest doing crafts and fun DIY projects, but in our house if I want to have a great relationship with my kids we need to avoid those activities cause momma and got no patience for crafts. I mean I don't care if they do them but this really can't be a family project for the well being of everyone.


3.) Dish out chores

If you've tried the first two things and those haven't worked dish out chores. This seems to make everyone mad at mom and not each other and I'm ok with that. They get over it really quick. It usually gives us a fight free home for at least two blissful hours.


4.) Cry and eat your secret stash of chocolate

First let me say every mom needs a secret chocolate stash. EVERY ONE! If you have some kind of dietary issues that keep you from chocolate, then find an alternative cause girl sometimes all you can do is eat your feelings and have a good cry. Does this resolve anything? Nope just makes you feel slightly better. Oh and secret mom chocolate has no calories.


5.) Go bat crap crazy

This is the one that gets my kids attention most. When we have talked and talked about loving others, dished out chores, played outside, and I've hid and/or eaten chocolate and cried, this is all that is left in me to do. When they have days where they just will not stop fighting I lose it. Not on them but just in general. Stand in the middle of the living room and scream at the ceiling or what ever makes you feel better. The key those is to look like a crazy lady, because nobody messes with crazy. Everyone is slightly afraid of crazy and I mean everyone. I have reenacted there arguments in a dramatized way and they laughed like crazy but you could also see the confused bewilderment in their eyes and they straightened up.


Hope you enjoy your summer and your kids enjoy summer break and you don't have to turn into the crazy lady!


What do you do when your kids fight? Do you have any real and practical tips?

16 comments:

  1. Mothers are wonders! Taming kids is a hardwork!

    Najmah,
    www.bynajmah.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first is only two months old, but I'm sure this will be hard to deal with. And I absolutely agree with the need for a secret stash of chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is me, to a T. My kids have regular daily chores but also a list of extra chores I make them do whenever they say "I'm bored" or get too rowdy. I'm okay if they get mad at me as long as I get a little help with housework. My sister used to laugh at me for stashing a bag of chocolate in my closet and hiding each night. Then she went on a vacation with us and hid in the bathroom for 20 minutes.
    Aren't kids wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Most of the time they are but there are some days mom just cant deal!

      Delete
  4. Hilarious, and so true! i've actually started making them sit in time-out together while holding hands. Even the teenagers. Until they are ready to be kind to each other. It seems to diffuse the situation and make them realize how silly they're being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made them walk around the house for 30 mins holding hands before. If they let go it added an extra 2 mins. I often threatened to make them stand out on the porch and hug and kiss as cars go by. They don't like that so much!

      Delete
  5. Though I don't have children, I found while teaching that most behavior issue could be redirected and often times stemmed from boredom! Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when I was a kid and my siblings (and me) fought. I was about 13 or 14 and was suppose to be babysitting the others. Of course because we were siblings we fought and it was probably because I was being bossy. Any hoo... the rules were: don't hit in the face and don't call mom or dad at the office unless someone was bleeding or something was broke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this was basically me and my cousins!

      Delete
  7. The kindness jar. (Something I found on Pinterest.) Helps to stay positive and reward the kids for being nice to each other. I fill it with dry macaroni instead of marbles. But I have a secret stash of chocolate as well. That and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Nobody messes with crazy" Lol, so true! This cracked me up. I'm due with my second any minute now, so I'm sure this will be me in a few years ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure to figure out a place now to hide yo chocolate ;) having 2 kids are great but sometimes mama just needs to be a little crazy!

      Delete
  9. I send the big one out to jump on the trampoline since the little one can't walk yet! LOL I like hiding in the bathroom-I'll try that tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We try to get out of the house as much as possible...which is hard because it's so hot, but we do early morning park visits, trips to the local splash pad, the beach...and we have a big inflatable pool that saves us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and thanks for sharing on my Share a Post Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When it gets unbearable, I send them to separate rooms. My girls really are great friends and want to get their playmate back. :)

    Oh, and they both start the day with a handful of plastic nickels. If they whine or bicker, they have to give me one. If they're kind or helpful, they can earn one back. There's no cash value involved (yet), but it gives them a tangible reminder that I've asked them to do something (GET ALONG!).

    ReplyDelete