6/6/15

The Outsiders




The Outsiders is a novel by S. E. Hinton. When I was in junior high we read it but I just didn't really pay any attention to it. It has been on my to read list, I'm going back and rereading a lot of books I did read or was suppose to read. One day recently I was subbing for the junior high and the 7th grade was reading this as a class so the next weekend I ended up buying the book.

Oh my I loved it sooo much! I think even if I had really read it in school I still wouldn't have fully understood or appreciated it. When I was subbing I asked the class different questions about the book and could just tell they didn't fully get the depth.

If you have never read it, its definitely a must read! The Outsiders is a young adult fiction. Its narrated by the character Ponyboy and is about two rival groups, the greasers and the socs (or the socials). This book touches on social and economical dynamics, family dysfunction, friendships, and a young boy trying to figure out the world he lives in.



I just love Ponyboy and his ability to see the world for how it is, how it could be, and how it should be. He learns to see past the social dynamics we are often put in and see each person as an individual. This book is such a treasure! Even though its a young adult book I think everyone should read it. This is a book your kids or grandkids will be reading in school and is a great way to open the door to discuss deeper things with them.

I'm working so hard to teach my children to be the unique individuals they are and I think literature like this helps to express that.

If you haven't read it go out and get it ASAP! If you have, what's your favorite part of the book? What did you take from it?


1 comment:

  1. I may have to get a job as a librarian to read all the great books I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete