6/27/15

Make Money To Write About Your Kids Book Review

I came across this awesome book on Facebook. I started following the Facebook page, and then I saw that the author, Kerrie McLoughlin, had posted that she had some hard copies at home that she was selling and would autograph and send them out. I contacted her about ordering and told her I was a blogger and had a link party that featured books, so she sweetly offered to send me the book. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get it in the mail, read it, and then review it for ya'll. The day I got it in the mail I sat down and just absorbed it!



Let me just tell you how eye opening this read was! I had no idea what all went into to writing for magazines. This is something I have always wanted to do so I couldn't wait to dive in and learn. I was totally ignorant to the whole process. I just thought you contacted the editor and sent them the article and that was it!

"I want to share everything I've learned with you and save you the time and effort I've already spent. This book is the fast-track way to get published! I want you to enjoy the success (and paychecks!) I've enjoyed the last few years and continue to enjoy. Imagine writing just one 750-word article that takes minimal research and minimal time because you have personal experience with the subject and plenty of parent friends to offer you quotes, and then selling 20 times and getting checks in your mailbox on almost a daily basis."

Kerrie breaks down the process in an easy to understand way. She gives examples and offers lots of resources. I read with a highlighter in one hand and a notebook on my lap so that I could make notes and any questions I had. The great thing is that any questions I had in one chapter was quickly answered in the next one. Kerrie is sweet and approachable, so if you had any questions that you couldn't find the answer to in the book you could email her.

I love that this book is written in a positive and encouraging way for new writers like me. I cannot wait to start working on writing articles and submitting them to magazines. If writing for family style magazines is something you are interested in then Make Money To Write About Your Kids is a must read!

You can order your copy of the book on Amazon. You can find Kerrie at The Kerrie Show, Get Published in Parenting Magazines, Twitter, and Facebook.



Have you ever wondered what it takes to get published in a magazine?

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad she found me and wanted to check out the book! I hope you love it!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with this. I'll look for the book too. We do have more experience than we give ourselves credit for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know if you have any questions! Updates can be found on my site since changes happen frequently in this industry!

      Delete
  3. Interesting! I'd never really thought about being published in a magazine--I'll have to look this book up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! Lots of your blog posts can be tweaked and sold over and over again!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great read. I actually own the Writer's Market reference book, but it doesn't give you a lot of help besides the addresses!

    ReplyDelete