3/10/15

Mothering in the Middle

There is so much information out there about mothering during the little years and the teenage years. The little years can be so draining. You are physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted. And from what I hear the teenage years can be also. But what about the middle years? The gap from toddlerhood to teenager. You don't hear much about this time in a child and parent's life. I was under the assumption since no one really talks that much about it that it would be a breeze! Boy was I wrong!!!


I almost feel like I have be some how deceived! Why is it the no one talks about this time? It can be emotionally draining at times. I tell my friends with little ones that it will come a day when they won't be as physically exhausted but there will be a day when there is a lot more training which can leave you emotionally exhausted.


The adolescent years are a time for training. These are the years where you are helping them shape their character and learn to be more independent. This is also a time that can be heart wrenching for moms because in a way we are having to let go and let them learn on their own and with that comes failure. We want to swoop in and do it for them to prevent them from having any type of disappointment, but if we are continually doing things for them they will never learn. I feel its my job as a mom to help guide them so that they one day can be responsible productive adults.



There is so much growing and shaping during this time. Its hard for me to let go. I want to jump in and fix things for them and show them the "right and good" thing to do. My biggest struggle during this time is trying so hard not to push them into who I want or think they should be. I have to let go and let them figure out who they want to be and what interest them. They aren't at an age yet though where they are mature enough to make big decisions so that's where I do have to step in and help guide them.


So far this has been such an emotional season for me. Watching them grown and mature can be touching and terrifying all at the same time. I'm growing during this season just as much as they are. Everyday is a new learning experience for us all. Mainly for me its learning to step back and loosen my grip, I know that the Lord loves them even more than I could ever imagine and it is He who holds their future. I'm constantly crying out to Him saying, "Lord I don't understand this situation or how to even parent my child right now but I pray that you take my mothering and use each situation for their good and your glory".

I just want to hold on to them as long as possible but everyday is a new day to love and serve my children and help guide them through whatever season of life we are in.


How old are your children? What about your current season do you love and what part is the most difficult?

4 comments:

  1. I have twin 13 year olds and a 5 year old (all boys). I am actually really enjoying the teenage years so far, but it is hard not to want to swoop in and fix everything for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm so glad to hear you say you are loving the teen years! It scares the mess out of me because all you hear is horror stories ha! I'm trying to be more proactive and finding joy in each season. I always worry that somehow I'll mess up big but just got to let it go and trust the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny to read this, because I just read an article that makes me think I'm over-helping my toddlers, not letting them learn how to put on a jacket solo but doing it for them. I guess that it's parenthood - a time for training. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm equipped to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are 8 and almost 11 and we're about to hit the middle school years, which I'm dreading. I will say, though, that for the most part these ages have been easy for me. I'm thinking when my son starts middle school in August, things will likely change.

    ReplyDelete