2/17/15

Childhood Books


When I was a kid I hated reading. I only read enough to get the minimum requirements for Accelerated Reading and even occasionally earn one of those free slips for pizza. Even when it came to books the entire class was reading then taking tests and doing projects on I would only read one or two chapters. I would just listen to the class discussion and be able to pick up enough of the story line to pass a test. An over achiever I was not.

But now as an adult, I love love love to read! I could waste away a day reading. I've been known to read while cooking supper, while taking a bath, while folding laundry, or just anytime I feel like I can fit it in. I realize now that my lack of reading as a kid could have a little to do with being lazy or rebellious. I'm going to go with rebellious because that sounds cooler. Anyway now I have embraced books for the long lost friends they are, ok so now I'm back to being a dork.

Lately I have enjoyed going back and reading books I read or pretended to read as a kid. In some ways I think its better to reread them as an adult because you appreciate the deeper meanings a little more. I recently reread The Giver, sorry Mrs. Anderson for not fully reading or appreciating it in 7th grade, and for several days after I thought about it and compared it to our world today. I guess that's one of the good things about being an adult you can look back with your worldly eyes and see what you failed to understand as a kid.

Do you reread books from your childhood? What's your favorite childhood book?

4 comments:

  1. I remember raelly liking The Giver! Apparently it's now part of a trilogy? I need to re-read A Wrinkle in Time--it's been too long, and it always shows up on booklists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea it was part of a trilogy how interesting!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you shared this post again. I read A Wrinkle in Time a few months ago--totally bizarre book! :)

      Delete
  2. I read like crazy growing up, sometimes I got in trouble for reading instead of doing chores, going to bed or coming to the supper table. I still read like that. Once I open a book I'm gone for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete